My first make - Tilly & the Buttons - Bettine Dress Review

Hi,

so... here is the first dress I made.

I made it last July and it took me ages to decide what to make. I knew I wanted to make something simple - so no zips or buttons. After a lot of reading other peoples blogs and pattern reviews I decided to give the Bettine dress from Tilly & the Buttons a go.

After having chosen the pattern it then took me even longer to choose the fabric! I found it really difficult to know what would work best and I didn't want to spend too much money in case it all went horribly wrong. Eventually I found something I liked - a houndstooth rayon from Exeter Sewing Machine Co which was only £5.99 p/m I think

After taking my measurements I cut a size 4 - I really should have gone up a size but I was kidding myself that I would lose weight! And, as I am only 5' 1" I decided to be really brave and have a go at shortening the pattern. I got a bit carried away and took 2 inches off - I was lucky that it left me enough for a tiny hem without risking indecency!

The instructions were really straightforward and I had no issues following them. I am so pleased with how this turned out. I love the style and I love the pockets. I wear it a lot! The only problem I can see with it is that I haven't sewn both hips quite symmetrically, one side puffs out slightly, but I think I'm the only one that notices.

I would really recommend this pattern to anyone who wants to give sewing a go.

Ciao, Linda x

Comments